Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
Fergus
Fergus
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,376, Level: 20 Points: 1,376, Level: 20 Points: 1,376, Level: 20
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2 years.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Whey!
My Mood: Happy
Fergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributor
Default Core Training

Hi all.
Just wondering what ye would recommend for core training.
How often, what exercises, what rep range, when to do them.
Thanks in advance.
Fergus is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
Chillen
Chillen
Current Pic/Nov 30th, 2012: Rocken Lean
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
My Mood: Inspired
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
Hi all.
Just wondering what ye would recommend for core training.
How often, what exercises, what rep range, when to do them.
Thanks in advance.
This would depend. It depends on what you want out of the core, and your overall personal goals. Personally, I lean toward training the core in way it was "designed" to work. And, basically, its function is "stability and support" during the course of bodily functions/activities.

Which means developing exercises that "indirectly" involved them and "directly" involve them. Compound lifts such as: Front Squat, is an excellent indirect core stabilizer during the course of the movement, for example. Its an under appreciated lift for the core strength, at least in my humble opinion. Indirect core stability lifts would include: Dead Lifts, Military Press, as other examples. Direct core, I like the Renegade Row. Its a basically a plank that involves a rowing motion. In this lift you get contraction of the entire core, while working the rear deltoids, upper back (lats), and pecs (when you do a pushup with it between rows. The renegade is an absolute killer. During the course the of the movement the core has to engage and hold one stable in the prone while rowing DB's. The plank has nothing on it.

What are your goals?

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 01-06-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
Fergus
Fergus
has no status.
Uber Brawn

Fergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post

What are your goals?

Don

Well they're fairly basic. Im kinda new to powerlifting. Ive always ''dabbled'' in weights. But I really want to increase my squat, bench, deadlift and press more than anything.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
Dray
Dray
is getting stronger
Max Brawn
Points: 9,422, Level: 65 Points: 9,422, Level: 65 Points: 9,422, Level: 65
Activity: 83% Activity: 83% Activity: 83%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: cgbp
Fav Supp: rare steak
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

I've tried a lot of things (even in the short time I've been lifting ), and in the end, I've come around to agreeing with this guy's PoV:

Gym PRs: Squat 160kg/352.7lbs, Bench 112.5kg/248lbs, Deadlift 220kg/485lbs, Strict Press 72.5kg/159.8lbs

My new training log
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 02:17 AM   #5
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,375, Level: 100 Points: 33,375, Level: 100 Points: 33,375, Level: 100
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Planks, with weight. Can do them everyday if you want to!

Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 05:33 AM   #6
Fergus
Fergus
has no status.
Uber Brawn

Thanks lads.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 05:45 AM   #7
Chillen
Chillen
Current Pic/Nov 30th, 2012: Rocken Lean
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
My Mood: Inspired
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
Well they're fairly basic. Im kinda new to powerlifting. Ive always ''dabbled'' in weights. But I really want to increase my squat, bench, deadlift and press more than anything.
If you focus on your core lifts within your power lifting personal goals, the core will get strong just through indirect stability and control involvement in the lifts. They have to engage to stabilize the mid-body during the execution of the movement.

A strong core (front, side, and back), can "assist" in lowering the odds you will obtain lower back issues (pain, etc), but there really isn't any magical "direct" core movements. You will get many opinions on this, but my general opinion is, to train the core in how it was designed to be used. Which (again) means, directly and indirectly.

Do your main lifts and they will take care of the "indirect" stuff, and pick a exercise or 2 for direct core work (if you wish). Other than the renegade rows, I mentioned earlier, Roll-outs, regular planks (weighted as you get stronger, if you wish), are other suggestions. Remember, no amount of indirect or direct core work, will reveal the core, its a function of diet v. activity, to bring about low enough BF.

In regards to the video: The person has the opinion, one has to weigh 200lbs, to look good with Lower BF. For example, I have no aspirations to weigh 200lbs at 52 years old at 5'7", and would make my personal goals unreachable, in the "natural sense" of the word. I am a "Hard Core" thinker, but I also base it in "reality" and "common sense", and understand, different people have different goals. And, on this, I do not listen at all.

He is full of crap on this specific thing.

Have a great day, guys!

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 01-07-2014 at 05:57 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
CountryFriedMuscle
CountryFriedMuscle
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,557, Level: 22 Points: 1,557, Level: 22 Points: 1,557, Level: 22
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: SQUAT
CountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributor

The majority of my ab training my entire lifting career has centered upon 3 key exercises: weighted decline situps, saxon side bends, and the most important by far is ab wheel rollouts. Fairly standard work with sets of 10+ reps for everything.
CountryFriedMuscle is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook